2 hrs 15 mins
Easy Vegetarian Stew adapted from my favourite stew of all time: Gentse Stoverij
My Private Note
big pot ...
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g quorn pieces, naked chicken style cutlets
- 1 kg carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 big onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint dark beer (preferably Belgian, I usually use Trappistes Rochefort 10)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 250 g cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon jam
- 1Saute onions in olive oil.
- 2Add quorn and cook for 5 minutes with the onions.
- 3Add the sliced carrots and cook for about 10 minutes.
- 4Deglaze with chicken stock.
- 5Add mushrooms.
- 6Add all the herbs and the pint of beer. (save a few ml of beer ~ 3 tablespoons).
- 7Simmer over low heat stirring occasionally for about an hour-an hour and a half until sauce has slightly thickened and carrots are soft.
- 8Add the remaining beer and the teaspoon of flour or
- 9corn starch. (Make sure you're stirring when you add the thickening agent).
- 10Turn the heat up and cook for around 10 more minutes stirring constantly until sauce is thick and creamy.
- 11Towards the end, add the tablespoon of jam if you feel it is not sweet enough.
- 12Enjoy with rice, couscous or past as a side.
- 13(Or go all Belgian and get potato croquettes).
- 14Freezes well. Tastes even better the next day! :).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quorn Stoverij (Belgian Beer Sauce Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 237.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: