Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy Vegetarian Stew adapted from my favourite stew of all time: Gentse Stoverij
- 250 g quorn pieces, naked chicken style cutlets
- 1 kg carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 big onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint dark beer (preferably Belgian, I usually use Trappistes Rochefort 10)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 250 g cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon jam
- Saute onions in olive oil.
- Add quorn and cook for 5 minutes with the onions.
- Add the sliced carrots and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with chicken stock.
- Add mushrooms.
- Add all the herbs and the pint of beer. (save a few ml of beer ~ 3 tablespoons).
- Simmer over low heat stirring occasionally for about an hour-an hour and a half until sauce has slightly thickened and carrots are soft.
- Add the remaining beer and the teaspoon of flour or
- corn starch. (Make sure you're stirring when you add the thickening agent).
- Turn the heat up and cook for around 10 more minutes stirring constantly until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Towards the end, add the tablespoon of jam if you feel it is not sweet enough.
- Enjoy with rice, couscous or past as a side.
- (Or go all Belgian and get potato croquettes).
- Freezes well. Tastes even better the next day! :).