Recipe by Halcyon Eve
From the Quorn website. Times are estimated. Quorn is a mycoprotein meat substitute (myco- means fungi). Quorn does contain egg white and milk solids, though, so it is not suitable for people with those allergies (and I understand it can sometimes affect people with allergies to other fungi, such as mushrooms or yeast; mycoprotein allergies are evidently very rare), or for vegans or non-ovo-lacto vegetarians.
- 1 (10 5/8 ounce) package quorn meatballs, defrosted on counter for 15 minutes
For Basting Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar, preferably unrefined sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika or 1⁄2 teaspoon regular paprika
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For Roasted Garlic and Lime Aioli
- 5 garlic cloves, roasted with a little
- olive oil, until soft
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, and
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Before you start, set some 4 inch bamboo skewers to soak in warm water. Oil grill rack to prevent sticking. Prepare coals, if using a charcoal grill.
- To make Basting Sauce, whisk together all sauce ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Allow to cool (may be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in refrigerator).
- To make Roasted Garlic and Lime Aioli, mash roasted garlic cloves with the back of a table knife. Work salt into garlic to make a paste, place into a bowl, and add eggs and lime juice. Whisk together. While continuing to whisk egg mixture, slowly add cayenne and then olive oil, a little at at time, until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture is emulsified. Fold in zest. Refrigerate until ready to use (may be made up to 24 hours in advance).
- To prepare meatballs, thread two meatballs onto each skewer. Grill about 1/2-1 inch over heat source, turning often, for 10 minutes. Baste with sauce and continue to grill, turning and basting often, until cooked through.