Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lovely salad where the steaming of the quinoa is very important to get the right texture. Boiling won't give you the light fluffy texture.alone, so for any salad recipe using quinoa use this two cooking methods.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans, cooked. Rinse if canned
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked corn (microwave frozen if you don't have any already cooked)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped coriander
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- In a bowl wash quinoa in at least 5 rinses of water, til it runs clear.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook quinoa for 10 minutes, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Set sieve over saucepan of boiling water (quinoa should not touch the water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid until fluffy and dry about 10 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapenos, and coriander. Toss well.
- Make Dressing:.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice salt and cumin and add oil in a stream whisking.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well. May be made a day in advance and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
This was just what I expected, easy and healthy. I love the steaming of the quinoa. I never thought of that before.