Recipe by singinintherain55
This soup serves 6 and can be easily doubled. It is unbelievably delicious!! (I can't take credit for this, I found it posted on Yahoo! Answers, enjoy!)
Top Review by lonishell
My husband and I love Quizno's Broccoli & Cheese Soup but not the Quizno's employees attitudes, so when we found this recipe we our eyeballs left their sockets for a second. We could eat Quizno's delicious soup AND in the luxury of our own home? Impossible! I would say we were wrong! We stirred the soup the ENTIRE time taking turns, sometimes we had to stir faster than other times for example in the beginning when the mixture is actually a dough. The soup tasted EXACTLY like Quizno's Broccoli Cheese Soup. The only thing I would suggest is to add a lot of salt to the taste. I added the salt little by little. It's an experiment. You really have to remember the taste of Quizno's Broccoli Cheese soup to get it exact. (Their soup is mostly salty) It actually took us longer than 1 hour and 15 minutes to make. I would say more like 2 hours. Also step 4 says to put the soup in a blender, we did not do this. Instead we have a Cuisinart Smart stick we could stick into the pot. We tapped the button a couple of times to get some of the broccoli and carrots pureed with the soup but still have chunks of veggies left. I would also suggest putting a little less than 1/4 tsp nutmeg into the soup, this will also need to be added to the taste.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 lb broccoli, washed, cut (I use a whole rubber-banded bunch)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 quart chicken stock (I use SUPERIOR TOUCH BETTER THAN BOUILLON CHICKEN BASE) or 1 quart chicken bouillon (I use SUPERIOR TOUCH BETTER THAN BOUILLON CHICKEN BASE)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter. When onions are golden, stir in garlic and cook for 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- In another pan melt the 1/2 cup of butter and stir the butter and flour (make a roux) using a whisk over med. heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour in batches into osterizer (blender) and puree.
- Return to pot and add the grated cheese and stir till well blended.
- Put on low heat and stir the nutmeg.