Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup serves 6 and can be easily doubled. It is unbelievably delicious!! (I can't take credit for this, I found it posted on Yahoo! Answers, enjoy!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 lb broccoli, washed, cut (I use a whole rubber-banded bunch)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 quart chicken stock (I use SUPERIOR TOUCH BETTER THAN BOUILLON CHICKEN BASE) or 1 quart chicken bouillon (I use SUPERIOR TOUCH BETTER THAN BOUILLON CHICKEN BASE)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter. When onions are golden, stir in garlic and cook for 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- In another pan melt the 1/2 cup of butter and stir the butter and flour (make a roux) using a whisk over med. heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour in batches into osterizer (blender) and puree.
- Return to pot and add the grated cheese and stir till well blended.
- Put on low heat and stir the nutmeg.
My husband and I love Quizno's Broccoli & Cheese Soup but not the Quizno's employees attitudes, so when we found this recipe we our eyeballs left their sockets for a second. We could eat Quizno's delicious soup AND in the luxury of our own home? Impossible! I would say we were wrong! We stirred the soup the ENTIRE time taking turns, sometimes we had to stir faster than other times for example in the beginning when the mixture is actually a dough. The soup tasted EXACTLY like Quizno's Broccoli Cheese Soup. The only thing I would suggest is to add a lot of salt to the taste. I added the salt little by little. It's an experiment. You really have to remember the taste of Quizno's Broccoli Cheese soup to get it exact. (Their soup is mostly salty) It actually took us longer than 1 hour and 15 minutes to make. I would say more like 2 hours. Also step 4 says to put the soup in a blender, we did not do this. Instead we have a Cuisinart Smart stick we could stick into the pot. We tapped the button a couple of times to get some of the broccoli and carrots pureed with the soup but still have chunks of veggies left. I would also suggest putting a little less than 1/4 tsp nutmeg into the soup, this will also need to be added to the taste.
Carrot Soup? First I like to say my hubby, daughter 2 and son 5 (had seconds) ate this soup and they are picky eaters, especially with anything green. They loved it! I was going to follow this recipe to the T but I noticed a few things as I went on with it. First I only had baby carrots on hand so I finely chopped those by hand. Half way I realized that it was going to be a lot of carrot, so I stopped at 1 dense cup. Secondly I did a One Pot Method as I didnt want to dirty too many dishes and yes you can do the roux with veggies in it. Third I only hand Organic Vegetable broth, Cream and 2%milk on hand and instead of adding salt, I used 5 Chicken Bouillon Cubes. So, 2 c Milk and 2c cream was my halfNhalf =1 quart. Finally,I have to have texture or I won't get full so, I never pureed the soup. Instead, I chopped the florets and coarsely chopped part of the stem down to where it starts to branch out. Any lower and the stalk becomes a bitter and takes longer to cook to tenderness. Hope this helps. For those who don't have exact on hand ingredients. Other seasonings to consider= 1/4 tsp white pepper & 1/4 tsp back pepper.
DO NOT DO #4! DO NOT PUREE! Seriously this soup is awesome if you keep it simple and just keep it in the pot all along. Can be adjusted to taste pretty much like Quiznos.