Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetables are easier to serve to kids when they're roasted :P
- 4 quarts water
- 1 lb small yukon gold potato
- 6 -8 medium carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 lb large asparagus, with the tough ends cut off
- 1 lb cipollini onion, cut in half through stem and peeled (or substitute other small onions)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb shiitake mushrooms (or eighths if the mushrooms are really big) or 3⁄4 lb cremini mushroom, stems removed and caps cut in quarters (or eighths if the mushrooms are really big)
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, sliced
- ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot and add 2 Tablespoons salt. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 6 minutes. Then add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes more. Then add the asparagus and cook 2 more minutes. Drain all the veggies and quickly put on a large baking sheet and put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- While the water is boiling, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1/4 cup olive oil. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the mushrooms and cook them on one side until they start to turn golden (about 4 minutes) then turn them and add the garlic. Cook until the garlic starts to get a little golden, and any mushroom juices evaporate. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Take the vegetables from the fridge. If your potatoes are small, quarter them. Mine were a little big, so I cut them in half and quartered each half. Cut the carrots and asparagus on the diagonal about 1-1/2 inches long. Add another 1/4 cup oil and when it's hot add the potatoes. Cook on one side until it begins to brown, then turn the potatoes to the other side and cook until that side is a little brown. Scrape potatoes from the pan and add the carrots and onions and cook them until they are starting to turn golden (about 5 minutes).
- Take a deep baking sheet or pan and put the potatoes, carrots and onions into it, spreading them. Season with salt and lots of fresh pepper. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, then add the asparagus and mushrooms, fennel and thyme. Toss well and put back in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve while warm.