Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Great Flavors Of Arkansas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well in cold water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil for 1 minute before adding the diced onion.
- Sweat the onion until it wilts, stir in the quinoa and toast the grains for 1 minute before adding the chicken stock.
- Bring the stock to the boil, lower the heat to a simmer, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cranberries, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- At the end of the cooking time, stir in the nuts and butter, cover the pan and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.