Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great side dish, or main dish light supper.
Make and share this Quinoa With Sweet Potato and Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- water, as needed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- Mix quinoa, water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and cayenne pepper; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water into the skillet as needed to keep the vegetables from drying out and sticking.
- Divide the quinoa among 4 plates and ladle the vegetables over the quinoa. Sprinkle with almond slivers.
Another great recipe Mikekey ! I made as written, except skipped the mushroom as I cannot tolerate them. To be honest I really had my doubts that this would be anything but "just okay" just because quinoa is so bland to begin with - but I was really surprised. This combination of sweet potato adds sweetness and the cayenne definitely adds a bite ! The onions and garlic give the dish a light savory flavor but I think my favorite part is the toasted almond slivers. They really add a nice texture of crunch. I was very impressed by this recipe Mikekey and so glad I tried it. I will definitely make it again - always looking for good quinoa recipes and this one is great. DH is the mushroom lover in the family, and he even said it was perfect 'as-is' ! Made for your Week #3 Football Pool win !!
This is the first time I have ever had quinoa and this was a great recipe to start off with! Very flavorful and the sweet potatoes and mushrooms were a great combo! Will be making this again! Glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried this amazing recipe! Made for Everyday Holiday.