Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Whole Foods.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce dried oyster mushroom (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, washed and drained
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed the oyster mushrooms slightly and remove the tough stems.
- Sauté carrots, onions, and mushrooms for 3 minutes.
- Add broth, beans and quinoa. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Easy to prepare. Healthy and satisfying. The whole family enjoys this hot for breakfast and as a cold "quinoa salad" on another day. Works as an entree or side dish. I add 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger to the saute. I substitute 1 cup fresh Maitake (a.k.a. Hen of the Woods) mushrooms instead of the oyster mushrooms. Time-wise this works really well for breakfast: I soak 2/3 cup adzuki beans overnight in about 2 cups of water. When I wake up I rinse the beans and cook them in in 3 cups of water for 90-100 minutes (bring to boil, then simmer, covered until soft and mostly dry - if they dry out before softening I just add another 1/2 cup water). Then at breakfast I put it all together - it only takes 20 minutes to cook). I sometimes prep the vegetables at night so in the morning I can cook it with my eyes closed.
Delicious, easy to make. Nutritious and filling.
Great recipe! Very easy to make and healthy too!