Sweet Baboo's Note:
A four fork recipe from Gourmet Magazine, May 2003 I have posted as the recipe was written, but I only used one cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water, and cooked in the microwave as I do white rice (5 minutes on high, 12 minutes on 50% power, stand time of 10 minutes, then fluff gently with chopsticks or a fork). Stove top or rice cooker would work well also. I think with adding a dressing, steaming is unnecessary. I did use mangoes, and loved the taste, but one reviewer suggested substituting apples, cashews and raisins, and I think that might be interesting too when mangoes are unavailable.
My Private Note
side di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/3 cups quinoa (7 1/2 ounce)
- 1 lb firm-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, minced and seeded (if desired for less heat)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanut, chopped (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1Whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined.
- 2Rinse quinoa in a bowl using 5 changes of water, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off water (if quinoa does not settle, drain in a large sieve after each rinsing).
- 3Cook quinoa in a 4- to 5-quart pot ofboiling salted water 10 minutes. Drain in a large sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- 4Set sieve with quinoa over a saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches boiling water (sieve should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, 10 to 12 minutes. Toss quinoa with curried yogurt and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa With Mango and Curried Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.7 mg
- Sodium 462.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 10.7 g