I've been collecting yummy-looking vegetarian recipes that I want to try :) This one's from Gourmet magazine, May 2003.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/3 cups quinoa (about 7 1/2 oz)
- 1 lb firm-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded (if desired for less heat)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanut, chopped (2 1/2 oz)
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- 2Slowly trickle in oil, whisking until combined; set aside.
- 3Place quinoa in a large bowl and cover with water, taking care not to let the bowl fill up more than halfway. Let quinoa settle a bit; using your hands, rub grains together lightly under the water; drain in a sieve, then pour quinoa back into the bowl. Repeat 4 more times.
- 4Cook quinoa in a 4- to 5-quart pot of *boiling salted water* for about 10 minutes.
- 5Drain in large sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- 6Set sieve with quinoa over a saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches boiling water (sieve should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 7While quinoa is cooking, chop up remaining ingredients.
- 8Toss quinoa with curried yogurt and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa With Mango and Curried Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.1
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 465.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g