Recipe by kellymbrown
I've been collecting yummy-looking vegetarian recipes that I want to try :) This one's from Gourmet magazine, May 2003.
- 1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups quinoa (about 7 1/2 oz)
- 1 lb firm-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded (if desired for less heat)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted salted peanut, chopped (2 1/2 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly trickle in oil, whisking until combined; set aside.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl and cover with water, taking care not to let the bowl fill up more than halfway. Let quinoa settle a bit; using your hands, rub grains together lightly under the water; drain in a sieve, then pour quinoa back into the bowl. Repeat 4 more times.
- Cook quinoa in a 4- to 5-quart pot of *boiling salted water* for about 10 minutes.
- Drain in large sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- Set sieve with quinoa over a saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches boiling water (sieve should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop up remaining ingredients.
- Toss quinoa with curried yogurt and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.