1/1 Photo of Quinoa With Kale, Sweet Potatoes and Pecans
1 hr 5 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
Each time I make this we enjoy it more. It is based on a recipe from “Wild About Greens” by Nava Atlas with a few changes so it better fits our Nutritarian eating style. The recipe isn’t difficult to make but it does use several pots since ingredients are cooked separately before they are put together. You can reduce prep time by using pre-chopped or frozen kale and frozen mushrooms.....For the low sodium broth, I substitute 1 1/3 cups water, 2 teaspoons VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 12 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 1 pound)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1Chop pecans and set aside.
- 2Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- 3Peel and dice sweet potato and set aside.
- 4Prepare celery, onion and mushrooms and set aside.
- 5Slice scallions and set aside.
- 6Combine quinoa and broth in a small sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower heat and simmer gently until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- 7While quinoa is cooking, steam sweet potato until done but still firm. Set aside.
- 8While quinoa and sweet potatoes are cooking, coat large covered non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil and add celery, onion, mushrooms and cumin. Cook until soft, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- 9Add kale and a small amount of water if needed to the pan. Cover and cook until kale is wilted and soft, stirring occasionally.
- 10Add quinoa, sweet potato, scallions and pecans. Combine and heat through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa With Kale, Sweet Potatoes and Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.4
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 76.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth