Vegetarian recipe from Albi and Walthers, Greens Glorious Greens.
Make and share this Quinoa With Chickpeas and Spinach recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and washed
- sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- Rinse the quinoa well and drain in a fine-mesh sieve. Combine water and orange juice to equal 1 3/4 cups, and bring to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the sea salt, orange zest, and rinsed quinoa. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes to fluff up.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet that has a tight-fitting lid. Add the onions and saute over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until they have softened and started to brown a bit. Add garlic and saute until golden.
- Add raisins, chickpeas, and chopped spinach. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or just until the spinach has wilted. Adjust heat if necessary. Drain any excess water after cooking the spinach. Season to taste with sea salt.
- To serve, fold the vegetables into the hot, cooked quinoa. Stir in cinnamon. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts (or walnuts) and orange wedges for a final squeeze of juice.