Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've been looking for quinoa recipes and found this one in Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. She recommends using a fragrant oil such as walnut oil or untoasted sesame oil but olive oil may be substituted if those oils aren't available.
- 1 1⁄4 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small pieces and florets
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine quinoa with 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until water has been absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan; add onion and saute over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add cauliflower and about 1/3 cup water; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until cauliflower is just tender.
- Once quinoa is done, add it to the cauliflower mixture; add cranberries, pine nuts and parsley.
- Toss together then remove from heat.
- Drizzle in remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
yum! Dreamer, we made veggie bowls with this recipe. Lined the bowls with baby spinach then added a spoonful of basmati rice, the vegetable mixture/beans, fresh mint and fresh cilantro, lime slices. Perfect! Bought organic cauliflower from the farmer's market just for this occasion, too! Don't skip the mint! Made for Veg Tag/April. Thank you!