Recipe by lazyme
Quinoa, a fast-cooking, flavorful grain originally from South America, goes well with the rich flavor of caramelized onions in this dish. From Vegetarian Times Low-Fat & Fast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa well before cooking. Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine onion and oil in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until onion is browned, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. (If onion starts to burn, reduce heat.)
- Set aside.
- Rinse quinoa with cold water until cool; drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa, onion, and remaining ingredients (except tomato).
- Mix well.
- Stir in tomato.
- Serve at room temperature.
- HELPFUL HINT: Quinoa must be rinsed well before cooking to remove a natural bitter tasting but harmless coating. (The coating naturally protects quinoa from birds and insects.).
- All ingredients except tomato can be prepared, combined, and chilled up to one day ahead. Add a small amount of broth if mixture seems dry, then stir in tomato.
- Per Serving: 143 Calories; 6g Protein; 4g Fat; 23g Carbohydrates; 0 Cholesterol; 75mg Sodium; 4q Fiber.