Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my idea of comfort food. I could eat a bowl of this alone, on the couch (or next to the computer while researching new ideas on recipezaar!). It is a beautiful side dish warm or cold with grilled vegetables (or meat).
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leek, thinnly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, Chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, Chopped
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- pine nuts (optional)
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a medium saucepan with water and salt (now is the time to season!), cooking according to box directions. Cool.
- Heat Olive oil in a saute pan and then add leeks, sauteeing for 2 minutes over medium high heat (to get some color on them).
- Add the stock, lower the heat, and cook the leeks for about 5 minutes (until tender). Stock should be almost gone.
- Add the cooked quinoa and stir to heat through. Remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and drizzle with a fine-quality extra virgin olive oil, if you so choose. Also nice with toasted pinenuts.