Have been introducing new grains into my menu and put this one together using leftovers and items in the pantry. So good, I thought it was worth posting. Makes a great side dish to roasted chicken or turkey.
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer under running water.
- Toss quinoa into a small saucepan and lightly toast.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer and cover.
- Cook 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- In a separate pan, heat oil under a medium flame.
- Add sage and onions.
- Saute 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the chopped apple and cubed squash to the onions.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Add in pumpkin pie spice.
- At this point, the quinoa should be done.
- Stir quinoa into the pan with the onions, apples and squash.
- Top with dried cranberries.