Found on Homemakers, this is an easy, and smaller portioned vegetarian quinoa chili. Qunioa has more protein than any other grain, as well as more nutrients! Make sure to rinse your quinoa well, as this will remove any residual bitter-tasting natural saponins coating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (or a mixture of red, yellow & green peppers)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained (or whatever type you have on hand)
- 1 cup corn
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium heat;.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, pepper & garlic. Cook, stirring until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes;.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir for 1 minute;.
- Add tomatoes with juices and stock. Bring to a boil and add sugar and vinegar; season with salt and pepper;.
- Add quinoa, beans and corn. Cook, stirring until mixture returns to a boil;.
- Reduce heat to low;.
- Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender – about 25 minutes.
- Note: when re-heating, you may wish to add extra stock or water.
This might be my new favorite chili recipe! The quinoa makes it SUPER HEARTY and gives it a great texture. I agree with mersaydees that it would be nice with red quinoa, but my white quinoa was just fine. I made it as directed, except that I added some sliced mushrooms with the other veggies. I served it with hot sauce and fresh cilantro. It made a TON, way more than 6 servings, probably more like 8 or 10 servings. The leftovers are really good; I'm planning to freeze some. Made for Veg*an Swap.
Super hearty! Added chili paste, beer, zucchini, mushrooms, Slap Yo' Mama seasoning, and 2 cans of 3-color beans. People have said it is the best vege chili they've ever tasted. Very healthy.
Perfect recipe. Followed it to the T!