Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tabouli using quinoa(pronounced keen-wa), a great South American grain, instead of bulgur or couscous. This Mediterrean/Middle Eastern salad is PACKED with flavor and simple to make! This salad is meant to be served chilled, but I normally can't wait that long, and end up eating it while it's still a little warm. It also tastes better the second day. And don't forget to rinse the quinoa!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced (or zucchini)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans (optional)
- salt and pepper
- THOUROUGHLY rise quinoa in cold water! This is very important, or else you will be left with a bitter taste!
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add salt and quinoa.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow quinoa to cool.
- Combine all other ingredients, and once quinoa is cooled, toss and enjoy!
This has become my go-to summer salad. I've been keeping some made in the fridge at all time for a quick snack or a ready side dish.<br/>My only comment is that cilantro is optional, but mint is not. That is signature flavor of Tabbouleh.