I love new twists on classic dishes. In this one, quinoa - a Latin American grain rich in protein - replaces bulgar as the base of this Mediterranean-Middle Eastern salad.
- Place quinoa in a colander and rinse several times rubbing the grains together to remove the bitter outer layer.
- Place water and quinoa into a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, finely chop the tomatoes, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, olive oil and fresh mint to the tomato mixture.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and salt. Mix well.
- Let tabouli sit in the refrigerator for a day to blend flavors.
- Tabouli is traditionally served at room temperature so remove from fridge 30 to 60 minutes before serving.