Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a non-wheat recipe similar to tabouleh. The quinoa is substituted for the bulgar. Cooked quinoa is lighter and fluffier than bulgar and personally I think it tastes better. It's lovely as a bed for grilled snapper or lamb. You can vary the ingredients used to your taste preference. Quinoa is gluten-free and can be used wherever tabouleh would be or in place of cous cous. Modern Middle Eastern flavours
- 2 cups quinoa, to be cooked and cooled
- 2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 bunch of fresh mint, chopped roughly
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh rocket, chopped roughly (aka arugula)
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- cracked black pepper
- Cook 2 cups quinoa to 4 cups water bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Alternately cook to the directions on the pack.
- Set aside on a flat dish, spreading it out to allow it to cool evenly.
- When quinoa is cool, combine all ingredients and serve.
I made this just as written thanks to my nearby Persian store with Sumac, a salad container full of rocket and some fresh herbs from our garden. I made this just as written except extra Sumac as I noticed salt was omitted. It didn't need the salt. I also cut back a bit on the olive oil. Great recipe! I used about a cup of arugala unpacked.
This is a good one but not my favorite on the site. I used all the ingredients including freshly squeezed lemon juice and an unrefined olive oil.