Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These healthy tacos are packed with protein and are vegetarian friendly. I make them for a delicious, filling lunch after a morning workout. I came up with this recipe for my clients who love mexican food but are health conscious as well. They are also super simple to make. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 (8 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 roma tomato
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 dash Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 3 lime wedges
- 1⁄4 cup shredded lettuce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream (optional)
- Cook quinoa as directed on package. Quinoa takes about 15 minutes to cook, so you can prepare the other ingredients in the mean time.
- Dice Tomato. Heat a pan over medium heat. Saute tomato for a few minutes until tender while adding a dash or two (more or less depending on your taste) of Jalapeno sauce while you saute. Remove from heat and pour tomatoes in a small dish. Return pan to heat. You will use the pan to toast the tortillas.
- Heat up refried beans on the stove or in the microwave, whichever you prefer. If you are only making one serving, I recommend using only 1/2 the can.
- Return to warm pan that you had sauteed the tomatoes inches Toast one tortilla at a time for about a minute on each side, just enough so they are warm. By this time, Quinoa should be done.
- Spread out tortillas on a plate. Spread a layer of refried beans over each tortilla. Next, spoon a tablespoon or two of quinoa on each tortilla. Add a layer of the sauteed tomatoes. Squeeze a fresh lime wedge over each. Add a dash of salt.
- You can add the lettuce, queso fresco, and/or sour cream if you'd like.
- Delicious, and good for you as well.
Such a good idea! Added my own twist that I should share. Made the quinoa with a tablespoon of minced garlic, and then layered refried beans, a sprinkling of cheddar cheese on the tortilla and heated them up on the stove with a little olive oil. Instead of lettuce I used an organic herb salad mix.
Great recipe! Love the use of quinoa in this. We used the optional lettuce and sour cream. Thanks for sharing!
Super-Superb!!! You don't miss the meat at all! These are flavorful, filling and so much better than Taco Bell!