Recipe by Chicksluvrock
These healthy tacos are packed with protein and are vegetarian friendly. I make them for a delicious, filling lunch after a morning workout. I came up with this recipe for my clients who love mexican food but are health conscious as well. They are also super simple to make. Enjoy!
Top Review by VegHed
Such a good idea! Added my own twist that I should share. Made the quinoa with a tablespoon of minced garlic, and then layered refried beans, a sprinkling of cheddar cheese on the tortilla and heated them up on the stove with a little olive oil. Instead of lettuce I used an organic herb salad mix.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 (8 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 roma tomato
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 dash Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 3 lime wedges
- 1⁄4 cup shredded lettuce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook quinoa as directed on package. Quinoa takes about 15 minutes to cook, so you can prepare the other ingredients in the mean time.
- Dice Tomato. Heat a pan over medium heat. Saute tomato for a few minutes until tender while adding a dash or two (more or less depending on your taste) of Jalapeno sauce while you saute. Remove from heat and pour tomatoes in a small dish. Return pan to heat. You will use the pan to toast the tortillas.
- Heat up refried beans on the stove or in the microwave, whichever you prefer. If you are only making one serving, I recommend using only 1/2 the can.
- Return to warm pan that you had sauteed the tomatoes inches Toast one tortilla at a time for about a minute on each side, just enough so they are warm. By this time, Quinoa should be done.
- Spread out tortillas on a plate. Spread a layer of refried beans over each tortilla. Next, spoon a tablespoon or two of quinoa on each tortilla. Add a layer of the sauteed tomatoes. Squeeze a fresh lime wedge over each. Add a dash of salt.
- You can add the lettuce, queso fresco, and/or sour cream if you'd like.
- Delicious, and good for you as well.