Recipe by Mary Jenny
The table will be delighted when you serve these zucchini “boats” filled with a savoury stuffing. A mouth–watering change from your regular vegetable side dishes and you can impress your guests by using zucchini and tomatoes straight from your garden!
Top Review by mama smurf
This was wonderful! I used red quinoa and like the previous reviewer I did saute the garlic, onion, tomatoes and zucchini seeds (filling) in EVOO before filling. I followed the rest of the instructions using some Feta cheese and this is going into my Favorites of 2012 cookbook and will be used often. Thank you for posting such a great recipe. Made for Fall PAC 2012 tag game.
- 1⁄4 cup quinoa (PC Organics is a great choice)
- 2 medium zucchini, 500 g
- 15 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light cheese, in brine, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon roasted garlic (PC Blue Menu is low fat)
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- In small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup (125 mL) water to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop seeds onto work surface. Roughly chop seeds. Measure out 1/3 cup (75 mL) of chopped zucchini seeds; discard remainder.
- In bowl, stir together measured zucchini seeds, cooled quinoa, tomatoes, green onions, feta, olive oil, garlic seasoning and egg white. Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini halves. Place in 8–inch square (2 L) glass baking dish. Add ½ cup (125 mL) water to bottom of dish. Bake uncovered) in centre of oven for 35 minutes or until zucchini is tender.