Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sounds great! Use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.
Make and share this Quinoa-Stuffed Whole Zucchini With Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean
- 2 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa or 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled farmer cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- Combine quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer gently 10 minutes.
- Stir in lima beans; continue to simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini lengthwise in half. Cut out and discard seeds. Using a sharp paring knife, cut out flesh leaving a 1/3-inch-thick shell.
- Chop flesh and set aside. Place hollowed chayote halves in microwave-safe dish.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap and cook at high power 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, then chopped squash pulp; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add salsa; simmer 3 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir ½ cup of salsa mixture into quinoa mixture.
- Arrange cooked squash halves, cut side up on four serving plates; sprinkle with salt. Mound remaining salsa mixture into the squash halves.
- Spoon quinoa mixture onto and around squash; top with cheese and cilantro. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of pumpkin or sunflower seeds over each serving, if desired.