Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had an idea but couldn't find a corresponding recipe ANYWHERE so I made one up. The Picky One requested I season the stuffed squash with garlic. This is what I came up with & the results were great! Vegan, too. This seems to make a lot but the 4 of us finished it all! It is satisfying without being overly filling. I want to use this vinaigrette on other things like roasted brussels sprouts.
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or 1 TB fresh if available)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pignoli nut
- 1⁄4 preserved lemon, insides removed, rinsed well, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 tsp fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- salt & pepper, a few grindings each
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds & drizzle with a small bit of olive oil. Place on foil lined roasting pan & bake for 1 hour. It should be tender when poked with a knife or fork.
- Saute onion in a 2TB olive oil. Add garlic, oregano & a pinch of salt. When soft, add quinoa & vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer & cook, covered about 15 minutes. Stir in raisins & let sit, covered.
- Toast pignoli nuts in a dry skillet. Set aside.
- When squash is cooked, scrape the strands into a LARGE bowl. Season with salt & freshly ground pepper. Add cooked quinoa & toasted pignoli nuts, toss to combine. Add vinaigrette, toss to combine. Refill squash halves or put in a casserole dish & keep warm in oven until ready to serve.