Top Review by Mel in Vancouver, BC
I really love this recipe- I sent it to my whole family and everyone enjoyed it. It is super easy, very tasty and quite good for you as quinoa is an exceptionally healthy grain. I used oyster mushrooms and topped the hot peppers with cheddar cheese.
- 4 large red bell peppers or 4 large green bell peppers, washed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled, ends removed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking dish that will hold the peppers upright.
- Cut 1/2 inch from the top of the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.
- In a large stock pot with a steamer tray, steam the peppers 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside while preparing the stuffing.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Add the oregano and tomatoes, reduce heat and simmer about 8 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked quinoa.
- Fill the peppers with the quinoa mixture and stand up with their sides touching in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake until the peppers are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.