Recipe by Pink Princess
Another from my first box of Quinoa - posting for safe keeping - haven't made this one yet. When I do I'll probably make the salsa myself rather than use jarred.
Top Review by Bergy
This is my first time using Quinoa and it won't be my last. Very delicious recipe. I did not presteam the peppers as we like them to still have some crunch. The 30 minute baking time gets them hot through but still with full texture. I cut the recipe in half but used 4 cloves of garlic. For the tomatoes a used a 14 oz can of Mexican syle (spicy) and for the cheese a Jalapeno Cheddar. Nice and flavorful but not so hot that it would bite you. Thanks for posting Pink Princess
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 large green peppers (or 6 medium)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) jarmexican salsa
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook quinoa as per packet.
- Steam peppers until soft but not limp.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and mushrooms in butter.
- Add the diced tomatos (reserving the juice).
- Add the crushed garlic and salsa.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sherry and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Fold in quinoa.
- Place peppers in baking dish and fill with quinoa mixture (half the mixture will be used up).
- Thin remainder with reerved juice and pou around peppers.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over peppers and bake in 325 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.