Recipe by Pappy068
Found this in Prevention Magazine, this is easy, healthy and most importantly...very tasty. You can substitute any cheese for the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. I recommend a strong hard cheese, but I have used all kinds and they all work. When I’m in a rush, I leave out the walnut pieces. A great side dish or when I am really lazy, add some cooked chicken for a great meal.
Top Review by cartertimesfive
Not seeing it mentioned by anyone else, but I soaked my quinoa for about 18 hours before use (1 cup quinoa to 3 cups water & 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar for better assimilation of nutrients) and per other reviewer's recommendations, I used 4 times the minced garlic & added in diced onions & mushrooms when I put the garlic in. Used 2.5 cups of spinach & could have used another cup or two I think without it being too much. It was *fantastic* we absolutely loved it! This was my first try with quinoa & I think this recipe will become a staple- my picky DH really liked it, as did I & our 2 yr old. Our 5 yr old twins were harder to convince, but once they gave it a try they did like it as well. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
- 236.59 ml quinoa (measured dry)
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2.46 ml minced garlic clove
- 118.29 ml walnut pieces
- baby spinach leaves
- 236.59 ml grape tomatoes or 236.59 ml cherry tomatoes
- 118.29 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place quinoa in small bowl, add water to cover, and swish to rinse. Pour into mesh strainer and drain well.
- Heat oil in medium skillet. Add quinoa. Toast, stirring, over medium heat until golden (about 10 minutes) Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Heat to boil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Spread walnuts in small skillet and stir over medium-low heat until toasted, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When quinoa is cooked, add spinach and tomatoes to skillet. Stir fry over medium heat until spinach is almost wilted and tomatoes are warmed, about 1 minute. Stir in walnuts and cheese. Garnish with basil. Serve warm.