1/1 Photo of Quinoa Spring & Summer Salad (Gluten Free)
magpie diner's Note:
Found this in Alive's July 2010 magazine. They called it a spring salad, but it screams summer to me when I can (hopefully) pick fresh cukes, peas, peppers and onions from the garden or local farmers market. I'm always looking for ways to use quinoa, have tried this using red quinoa for something different. It worked well except that I find the red quinoa is easy to overcook, so keep an eye on it. Pair this with Simple Cider Vinaigrette, or another simple dressing. This calls for 3 cups of cooked quinoa, which is easily done, I use Jubes' Basic Quinoa. Be sure to rinse your quinoa really well to remove its bitter outer layer. It makes a pretty big bowl full which I think would serve 8 easily as a side dish. I found that the dressing more or less disappears if you leave it too long so I suggest not tossing it until you're ready to eat. And if you're only using half the batch, just toss half. The quinoa part keeps well but after a day in the fridge I could barely detect the dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh, or frozen plus 2 cups boiling water)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced (spring onions)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup green pistachios, shelled
- 1/4 cup hempseed nuts, shelled
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or sub cilantro or basil or..?)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1If using frozen peas: In a bowl soak the peas in the boiling water, set aside until they have warmed through. Drain and pat dry.
- 2In a large salad bowl combine the peas with the remaining ingredients, plus 1/4-1/2 cup of dressing, (your fave or try Simple Cider Vinaigrette). Toss well.
- 3Serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Spring & Summer Salad (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.9
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 144.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 7.2 g