Found this in Alive's July 2010 magazine. They called it a spring salad, but it screams summer to me when I can (hopefully) pick fresh cukes, peas, peppers and onions from the garden or local farmers market. I'm always looking for ways to use quinoa, have tried this using red quinoa for something different. It worked well except that I find the red quinoa is easy to overcook, so keep an eye on it. Pair this with Simple Cider Vinaigrette, or another simple dressing. This calls for 3 cups of cooked quinoa, which is easily done, I use Jubes' Basic Quinoa. Be sure to rinse your quinoa really well to remove its bitter outer layer. It makes a pretty big bowl full which I think would serve 8 easily as a side dish. I found that the dressing more or less disappears if you leave it too long so I suggest not tossing it until you're ready to eat. And if you're only using half the batch, just toss half. The quinoa part keeps well but after a day in the fridge I could barely detect the dressing.
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh, or frozen plus 2 cups boiling water)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced (spring onions)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pistachios, shelled
- 1⁄4 cup hempseed nuts, shelled
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or sub cilantro or basil or..?)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- If using frozen peas: In a bowl soak the peas in the boiling water, set aside until they have warmed through. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large salad bowl combine the peas with the remaining ingredients, plus 1/4-1/2 cup of dressing, (your fave or try Recipe #431876). Toss well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
This is a great salad! I did make it a little differently though. I didn't add the red bell pepper or the nuts ~ just personal preference. I used magpie's recommended salad dressing and recommended recipe for cooking the quinoa. It was very easy to make and leftovers were great, too! Thank you for posting!!
I made this salad as my evening meal and found it very light but also satisfying. No hempseed nuts - that's a new item to me I'll need to try sometime. Used the recommended Simple Cider Vinaigrette, adding it only to my portion - the remaining salad and dressing will be shared for tomorrow's lunch. Thanks Magpie Diner!