Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe source: local newspaper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- basil leaves (garnish)
- Place quinoa in a bowl, cover with water, drain well.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring for 10 minutes or until golden. Stir in garlic and cook stirring another minute. Stir in salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in spinach and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for one minute or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in walnuts and cheese.
- Garnish with basil if desired.
Super easy and tasty! It needed salt, but that was a simple fix. And it really does work with any kind of cheese. I only had pecans and goat cheese and it was FABULOUS. Thanks for sharing!
I'm new to quinoa but I loved this recipe. I used too much garlic (two cloves) & omitted the salt. Very yummy!
I made this vegan by omitting the parmesan. I certainly didn't miss it; this dish was plenty flavorful without it. I LOVE quinoa but had never tried the technique of toasting it in oil before cooking it. That made it really nice and tender with a nuttier flavor. I used veggie broth instead of water and Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of salt. My basil had gone bad so I garnished with parsley instead. I will definitely make this again since it is such an easy, healthy, tasty meal, perfect for weeknights! Reviewed for Veg*an Swap, April 2010.