Recipe by sarahec74
Haven't make this yet, but looks like a great, gluten-free, nutritional treat! Came from http://www.ecosalon.com/the-complete-protein-dessert-delicious-quinoa-spice-cake/
Top Review by post1421_10992720
I made this for my birthday :-). I made a few Substitutes do to me having MS I can't have any oils or butter. And instead of the apples I added carrots and made a spiced carrot cake. It was so yummy!!!! It's a great recipe and easy to use :-) thank u to whoever posted this one cuz this was my first Attempt at baking gluten-free! :-) yummy!!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 large organic apple, peeled and diced
- 3 organic eggs
- 1⁄2 cup organic butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup organic raisins (optional)
- 1 dash nutmeg or 1 dash allspice
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (or switch out for orange extract)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook quinoa and set aside. To cook quinoa, bring two cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and a dash of salt and let simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until water has cooked off.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Whisk butter and eggs together and add to dry mixture.
- Combine all ingredients, including quinoa, and stir in apple pieces.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch round pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes at 350°F.
- The best part about this recipe? It tastes great with a multitude of extras thrown inches Play around with a handful of chocolate chips and some candied ginger for a real treat.
- Note: This recipe works great for vegans too – just switch out the butter for margarine and the eggs for an egg replacer.