Recipe by Chef mariajane
Most people know they should be eating more whole grains. Most people don't have the time to. Whole grains may taste better and be healthier for you than refined grains, but they also generally take much longer to cook. This easy, flavorful soup uses quinoa (prounced KEEN - wah), which is available alongside rice at most grocers and natural foods stores. Canned black beans or chopped cooked chicken are excellent additions to this soup.
Top Review by SilverOpera
This is really a delicious quinoa salad. I wouldn't really call it a soup. The quinoa absorbed all of the broth, even after I added extra. However, as a quinoa salad, this is really delicious. I love the fresh flavors of the lime and cilantro. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄3 cup chunky salsa, to taste
- 1 ripe but firm Hass avocado, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring broth to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to medium-high and continue boiling, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn and salsa, then return to a simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in avocado.
- Season with salt and stir in cilantro.
- Ladle into large bowls, accompanied with lime wedges.