Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Most people know they should be eating more whole grains. Most people don't have the time to. Whole grains may taste better and be healthier for you than refined grains, but they also generally take much longer to cook. This easy, flavorful soup uses quinoa (prounced KEEN - wah), which is available alongside rice at most grocers and natural foods stores. Canned black beans or chopped cooked chicken are excellent additions to this soup.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring broth to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to medium-high and continue boiling, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn and salsa, then return to a simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in avocado.
- Season with salt and stir in cilantro.
- Ladle into large bowls, accompanied with lime wedges.
This is really a delicious quinoa salad. I wouldn't really call it a soup. The quinoa absorbed all of the broth, even after I added extra. However, as a quinoa salad, this is really delicious. I love the fresh flavors of the lime and cilantro. Thanks for sharing!
Super quick, easy and delicious. My kids (4 and 2) also ate it with gusto. I added one cup of water, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped parsley instead of cilantro, and didn't have lime. Will definitely be making this again.
This is a great quick recipe. The best part is how easy it is to adapt to your personal taste by adding or omitting ingredients as desired. I hate avocado. So I skipped that, added more salsa, etc. it seems nearly everyone would agree that 4c of broth is not near enough so be prepared to add more. It's very healthy & flavorful. I'll be memorizing this one for quick weekend lunches. :)