1/1 Photo of Quinoa Soup (Peruvian Style)
I was born with my grandma preparing this soup up in the mountains of Peru. The other day I decided to re-created and give my grandma's recipe a little bit of modern taste and lower calories. This soup is excellent for vegetarian people and for people that love quinoa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup quinoa
- 6 cups water
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can condensed milk or 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup low-fat milk
- fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1 (8 ounce) box firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a medium pot, on medium heat, toss the olive oil, garlic and the onions and cover until the onion looks soft (approx. 2 minutes, stirring the ingredients if they seemed to be burning).
- 2Add the quinoa and stir (30 seconds)
- 3Add the 6 cups of water, the cumin, the annatto, the parsley and salt to taste, mix the ingredients and bring to boil. When the soup is boiling turn down the temperature a little bit. Let boil for about 20 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato sauce and the tofu. Taste if you need to add more salt. Let it boil for 15 more minutes.
- 5Lower the temperature to low and let it boil for 10 more minutes.
- 6Add the milk or soy milk and turn off the stove. Stir the soup until the milk has mixed with the rest of the ingredients. Add more parsley if you want.
- 8My grandma used fresh cheese or "Mexican Cheese" instead of tofu.
Browse Our Top Peruvian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peruvian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Soup (Peruvian Style)
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.3
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 290.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon goya with coriander and annatto