Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My friend from Ecuador made it for us and I tried to replicate it with much success. It's now one of my favorite soup to make. If you like a creamier soup, you can make it with 3 cups soy milk and 1 cup water.
- 236.59 ml raw quinoa
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml salt
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml water
- 473.18 ml soymilk
- Rinse quinoa 3 times and drain well.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the salt and cumin.
- Add the quinoa, potatoes, tomatoes, water and soy milk.
- Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, then cover and let simmer until potatoes are tender.
- You may add water or milk if necessary.
Wow, this was such an amazing soup and so simple to put together! I needed a fast recipe for a potluck, and this came together in under 30 minutes. The flavor was surprisingly complex for how few ingredients are needed! I made a few minor changes/additions: I added a little white wine as I was sauteing the onions; used almond milk rather than soy; added two extra cups water with two extra tsps vegetable broth powder to make it less thick; I didn't quite have a whole cup of quinoa, so I added about 1/4 cup red lentils; used a can of diced tomatoes rather than fresh. Yum, yum, yum! Thank you for posting this!
Thank you for this recipe. My husband and children loved it. It was quick and easy. I used 2 cups broth instead of water/boullion. It was thick so I later added more broth. It was delicious!!