Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from the article Everyday Gluten-Free in the May 2011 issue of Canadian Living. The fresh mint brings this salad to life.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon aleppo pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (can sub cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced
- 2⁄3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, using 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, tahini, warm water, garlic, cumin, peppers and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir in cooled quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, mint and green onions, stirring to coat quinoa and vegetables with dressing.
- This recipe can be refrigerated up to 3 days.
- The original recipe called for 1 cup of canned lentils to be added with vegetables and quinoa and doubled the amounts of lemon juice, olive oil and water for the dressing.
This salad is excellent! The tahini gives it an almost creamy mouthfeel and the greens add a nice freshness. The cucumbers, especially, give it a great crunchy texture that adds a lot of interest to the dish. This recipe is a keeper - I'll be making it on a regular basis for sure!
This is Delicious, Healthy, Refreshing and Easy. I'm always looking for a new way to use Quinoa. This is great for Summer but perfect anytime. Thanks SO much for sharing Lille : )