This recipe comes from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
Make and share this Quinoa Salad With Mangoes and Curry Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large mangoes
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 3 scallions, including an inch of the greens, thinly sliced (chives also work well)
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, roasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt or 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil (or sunflower seed oil)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a saucepan, then add the quinoa and salt. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender (about 12-15 minutes). Drain.
- Peel and dice the mangoes into 1/2" squares.
- Toss the completely cooled quinoa with the mangoes, chile, scallions, and curry vinaigrette (directions follow).
- Chop the almonds and add them last so they stay crisp.
- For the Curry Vinaigrette: Pound or mince the garlic and salt in a mortar until smooth, or put the garlic through a press. Place these into a small bowl and add the yogurt and curry. Stir in the lemon juice, and then whisk in the oil until the texture is thick and creamy. Let stand 15 minutes, then stir in the cilantro. Taste for tartness and salt and adjust if needed.