Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Healthy quinoa salad with a Mexican spin.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, chopped into chunks
- 3⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2-3 minutes until it starts to smell nutty.
- Add water, stir once, cover, and simmer with a lid for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare all other ingredients. Prepare dressing by combining the lime juice, oil, cumin, and salt. Whisk it aggressively. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- When the quinoa is finished, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add black beans and toss to warm through.
- Let the quinoa cool for about 5 minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients, including dressing, and mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Delicious says my 5 year old daughter who doesn't like quinoa. It sure is good flavours. I used organic red quinoa (I prefer it's texture over white), light tasting extra virgin olive oil, organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in place of black beans as they had no organic ones at the store, plum tomato, sweet onion, organic Canadian garlic (not garlic from China!), no red bell pepper as we didn't have any on hand, freshly squeezed lemon juice, sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients. I would make this again and definitely recommend it! Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2013.