Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh orange section (about 1 large orange)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 5 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, 2 inch pieces, steamed and chilled
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- mint sprig (optional)
- To prepare salad, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add white onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl. Add orange and next 5 ingredients (through jalapeño); toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing, combine juice and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with chopped mint. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired. Serve at room temperature.