Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from my dear friend Jackie, and have been absolutely hooked on it since!
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded & diced small
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2⁄3 cup almonds or 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted & chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in cold water; drain well.
- Combine quinoa with water in a medium-sized saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. (Or, you may cook in rice cooker. Use same proportions as above.).
- Remove quinoa from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with fork, and cool quinoa to room temperature.
- Combine cooked quinoa with the rest of ingredients, toss well, and enjoy!
I loved this salad! It was easy to make, healthy and hearty. Plus it would transport easily. Strangely, I liked it best when it was freshly made, the nuts were crunchier and the lemon tartness came through better. After being covered overnight, the tang from the sauce sort of disappeared. So if I were making the salad ahead, I might wait to add the lemon and nuts until just before serving.
What a very tasty dish. The lemon, almonds and dill worked it! I didn't have cukes so I used good old zuchini, and I didn't have any raisins. I loved it. I'm sure it'll be my anytime of day eats. Bravo!
Made w/out dill or carrots 'cause I didn't have any. First experience w/ quinoa. Very pleased and picky son even liked it.