Recipe by Cookin' Mommy
Quinoa is native to Peru and much like wheat with a subtle nutty flavor. It adapts well to a wide variety of seasonings and will be wonderful in this risotto. To serve as a main dish, double the portions. A healthy carb and low fat recipe adapted from Mayo Clinic. com's healthy recipe section.
Top Review by Lelandra
I was just getting ready to add this one myself from my offline collection. It is also in print in the book Source: The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook: Eating Well for Better Health by Cheryl Forberg and Maureen Callahan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock or 2 1⁄4 cups broth
- 2 cups arugula, chopped, stemmed (rocket)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over a medium flame, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until it is soft and translucent, approximately 4 minutes. Add garlic and the quinoa and cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Add stock to vegetables and quinoa, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer approximately 12 minutes or until quinoa is almost tender to the bite and slightly hard in the center.
- To the brothy mixture stir in the arugula, carrot and mushrooms. Simmer this until quinoa grains have turned from white to translucent, approximately 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in cheese, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.