Recipe by Chef Tweaker
From "Eight Weeks to Optimal Health". I haven't tried it yet but want to post it for safekeeping. Dr Weil says: Here is an unusual, healthy dessert made from the staple grain-like seed of the high Andes, now available in specialty food shops and health-food stores.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- berries (optional) or sliced bananas (optional) or maple syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the quinoa in a sieve and wash it well under cold running water. Drain and place in a pot with 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and boil gently until all the water is absorbed, and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Measure 2 cups cooked quinoa and to it add the apple juice, raisins, nuts, lemon juice, and pinches of cinnamon and salt to taste.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Chill. Serve plain, or with berries or sliced banana or a little maple syrup if you want it sweeter.