Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had a jar of Quinoa-Toasted sitting for a while, so since I have been able to do so many things with my Five (Or More!) Ingredient Garlic Quinoa, I decided to try my hand at some different quinoa dishes. Here is my souped up version of a recipe from a vegetarian site. My is quite a bit different....certainly enough to call it my own.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa, washed and toasted (see Quinoa-Toasted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice, washed
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and chopped (peel ribbed side like a carrot)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced (white & green parts)
- 6 medium white mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea, thawed at room temp
- fresh ground pepper, to taste (I use alot)
- butter, 1 pat
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (Your choice but extra protein not needed)
- Place large saucepan over high heat with 4 cups of broth.
- Bring to a boil and add rice. Stir and cover.
- Bring heat to med-low and cook until all the broth is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- In the last twenty minutes of cooking, add quinoa with 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir and cover. Continue cooking on med-low heat.
- As rice is cooking, fry bacon til crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Pour out any extra oil but don't wipe pan clean.
- Add all the vegetables except peas to coated pan and stir fry about 10 minutes.
- When rice mixture is done, fold in bacon, all vegetables including peas. (This is where I add the pepper).
- Use butter to grease your casserole dish. Add mixture to dish.
- Bake covered, in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If you choose to use the chicken, add with the vegetables.