1 hr 25 mins
Happy Harry #2's Note:
I had a jar of Quinoa-Toasted sitting for a while, so since I have been able to do so many things with my Five (Or More!) Ingredient Garlic Quinoa, I decided to try my hand at some different quinoa dishes. Here is my souped up version of a recipe from a vegetarian site. My is quite a bit different....certainly enough to call it my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, washed and toasted (see Quinoa-Toasted)
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice, washed
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and chopped (peel ribbed side like a carrot)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced (white & green parts)
- 6 medium white mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen green pea, thawed at room temp
- fresh ground pepper, to taste (I use alot)
- butter, 1 pat
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (Your choice but extra protein not needed)
- 1Place large saucepan over high heat with 4 cups of broth.
- 2Bring to a boil and add rice. Stir and cover.
- 3Bring heat to med-low and cook until all the broth is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- 4In the last twenty minutes of cooking, add quinoa with 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir and cover. Continue cooking on med-low heat.
- 5As rice is cooking, fry bacon til crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- 6Pour out any extra oil but don't wipe pan clean.
- 7Add all the vegetables except peas to coated pan and stir fry about 10 minutes.
- 8When rice mixture is done, fold in bacon, all vegetables including peas. (This is where I add the pepper).
- 9Use butter to grease your casserole dish. Add mixture to dish.
- 10Bake covered, in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 11If you choose to use the chicken, add with the vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Plus Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.1
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.3 mg
- Sodium 482.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 39.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth