1/1 Photo of Quinoa Pilaf in Lettuce Cups
I just love Aarti's take on food! Here's a recipe from Aarti's Party!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, picked and rinsed well (the red kind is prettier, but either the red or the white is fine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 grapefruit, zested, plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 head boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1Rinse quinoa in a sieve well to remove outer coating and then toast over medium heat in an iron skillet until the toasty quinoa aroma begins(the toasting is optional).
- 2Bring the 1 1/2 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until quinoa is cooked and curly white germ shows, about 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and spices, and saute until the onion has softened and the spices are very fragrant.
- 4Stir in the pine nuts and fruit and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Add the cooked quinoa (all the water should have been absorbed) to the skillet. Stir in the grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice. Taste, and season with salt, pepper, to taste. Allow to sit off the heat for 10 minutes so the flavors seep into the quinoa.
- 6Serve in lettuce cups.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa Pilaf in Lettuce Cups
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.2
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: