Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a simple pilaf which is a great side for just about any entrée. This recipe calls for chicken broth, but you can use vegetable broth if you'd like the pilaf to be vegetarian.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the quinoa: place the quinoa in a 2 quart saucepan with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stir well, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook over low heat for 12 minutes, then take off the heat and let the pot sit, covered, for 3 more minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, and then let sit, covered, in a warm place.
- Sauté the onion, celery, pepper, and sage in the olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté over medium heat for 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Combine the quinoa, sautéed vegetables, and walnuts. Mix well and taste; add salt to taste.