Considered the Mother Grain by the Ancient Incas, Quinoa is high in protein(16%) and is gluten free. This recipe was originaly from Sunset.
- In a 12 inch fry pan over medium highheat cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp around edges, around 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon lift bacon pieces from pan and set aside.
- Spoon off and discard all but 3 T.
- of the fat-or drain it all and use vegetable oil.
- Add mushrooms and onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid cooks away and mushrooms are golden.
- Add broth, quinoa, carrots, and green pepper; Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Take off heat, remove lid and let stand 2 minutes.
- Stir with a fork to separate grains.
- Spoon onto serving dish and sprinkle with cooked bacon.