Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Start the morning off right with these pancakes made from quinoa, an ancient grain that is high in protein and dietary fiber. From Everyday Food, November 2010 and wholeliving.com
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or 1 cup brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- fresh fruit (optional) or fruit preserves (optional)
- 1.In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- 2.Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes.
- Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter (reduce heat to medium if overbrowning).
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit or preserves if desired.