Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quinoa, a protein-rich seed, makes a great substitute for rice or couscous. For extra flavour, try adding a stock cube to the water when cooking the quinoa. From BBC GoodFood Magazine.
- 7 ounces quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallots or 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cucumber, lightly peeled and diced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Cook the quinoa in a large pan of boiling water for 10-15 mins until tender, drain well, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan, then cook the shallot or onion for a few mins until softened. Add the tarragon, stir well, then remove from the heat.
- Stir the softened shallot and tarragon into the cooled quinoa along with the lentils, cucumber, feta, scallions, orange zest and juice and vinegar. Toss well together and chill until ready to serve.