Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Rich in super foods and super flavor! You will not miss the meat. Adapted from a recipe in the "Revolutionize Meals" cookbook.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes or 2 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce
- 2 cups cottage cheese (high quality or dry curd)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 2 cups kale, chopped with ribs and stems removed (or half kale, half spinach) or 2 cups fresh spinach (or half kale, half spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray or oil. Spread prepared quinoa evenly in the dish.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add onions and cook until transparent and starting to brown. Add the mushrooms; cook until they're softened and very little if any moisture remains in pan. Add the garlic and the tomato sauce. Stir until hot, then set aside.
- In med. bowl combine cottage cheese with the egg; mix well. Stir in parmesan, basil and oregano.
- Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the quinoa. Then add layer of sliced zucchini, then all the cottage cheese mixture, then 1/3 of the tomato sauce, then all the kale or spinach, ending with the remaining tomato sauce. Spread mozzarella evenly on top.
- Bake for about 35 min, until hot and the cheese is melted, bubbling, and slightly brown at edges. Serve.
Best said .. Loved it!!! Used my own homemade spagetti sauce and used more than then the recipe stated.