Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From eatdrinkbetter.com. I'm posting it here to have it handy. I absolutely love the flavors in this salad. Plenty of delicious umami flavor! This is a great way to use kale from my local CSA and have a healthy meal too! I saute the kale, omit the pine nuts and salad dressing, and add more rice vinegar. This recipe is probably pretty forgiving of substitutions. http://www.eatdrinkbetter.com/2008/05/28/healthy-summer-grub-quinoa-kale-and-avocado-salad/+kale+quinoa+avocado+summer+salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1⁄2 lb kale
- 1 nori sushi sheets or 2 tablespoons Nori Goma Furikake
- 1⁄2 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- salad dressing, such as organic Shiitake and Sesame Vinaigrette from Annie's Naturals
- In a small pot combine one cup quinoa with 2 cups of salted water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Let cool at least slightly before adding to salad.
- While the quinoa cooks, remove the stems from the kale. Discard stems and chop the leaves finely, adding them to a large bowl. You may saute the kale in a large skillet if you wish before adding to the bowl. Add shredded nori or furikake and cucumber.
- Add the pine nuts and sesame seeds to the kale, nori and cucumbers. Add the avocado last to limit browning.
- Add vinegar and lemon juice, and quinoa. Mix well, season to taste, and enjoy!
Very good recipe. I substituted raw almonds (crushed) for the pine nuts and per GM's suggestion I sautéed the kale and did not use the dressing. Next time I will omit the nori. Added red pepper flakes to the kale.